Theatre: Learning the ropes

Sunday, May 04, 2014

CHILDREN: some things I've learned

I found a good site online - Creative Dramatics. He's got descriptions of all the games he uses and lots of other info.

The big thing i've had to remember is to keep in mind and verbalize often HOW BRAVE THEY ARE TO TRY THINGS UP IN FRONT OF OTHERS. Acknowledging that some are naturals and others it takes a bit of practice helps put them at ease. I tell them stories of when I've made a fool of myself or been embarassed and that creates an environment where they feel like they have the freedom to fail.

The younger ones like rituals, think of a theme song you do a warm up to every week. I have them take off their shoes at the door to "leave the stress of school behind."

The video of the vocal warm up fish tank is a modification of the exercise you can use to teach them to fill up the space and pay attention to each other. First starting and freezing on a clap, or 2 claps, then graduating to being able to start and stop on their own without a cue from me. We've added freezing in emotions, or calling out body parts to hook together with another child...ALL KINDS of variations on this basic FISH TANK fill the space exercise.

We have a game "WOOSH" they really love. and if they're cooperative and do well, we end with that game. You pass the "Woosh" with a handmotion, there's "ZAP" and "AH!!!" and "GROOVALICIOUS!"

I'll have to see if i have a video...but you've probably got some fun game they'll really like that you can use.

This year I have a strange discipline method 'cause of my naughty ROWDY 4th grade boys. Did i tell you about it? Any time I have to say any kids name more than once to ask them to calm down or be quiet, they have to go outside and run around the entire school building, come back and let me feel their back to see if they are sweaty and breathing hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


sponsors
Free Web Counter
work at home